una corda - una chorda

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sun Jun 4 17:40:31 MDT 2006

Jurgen,

In the Harvard Dictionary of Music, it's written as "Una corda [It.]"
and explains that it is a direction in music to use the left pedal or
soft pedal. Merle Mason (Piano Parts and Their Functions) for some
reason spells it unacorda, but others (Reblitz, Larry Fine, et al.)
agree with the Harvard Dictionary.

Tom Cole