Great success with ozone-generator mouse-pee de-stinking! (Thumperizing.)

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 6 13:29:30 MDT 2006

Full strength, briefly. It will dissolve the wood if
left to soak. Blast with water stream to remove yuck &
felts. Looks like old motor oil coming off! Very
satisfying!!! Stinks! Avoid clogging bathtub drain
with bits of felt. Wear gas-mask, gloves, goggles and
rubber boots with jumpsuit. Seems to dissolve
corrosion in center felts, without removing them. Of
course, the glue is liquified, temporarily, but dries
in place again due to center-pin. Once re-lubed with
stuff of your choice, seems to leave centers "just
about right". But this stuff's a powerful soap, and
may leave them lubed enough, as is. See for yourself.
I have not detected corrosion after this treatment.
neither, though, have I repinned a  set afterwards to
check. But I have a  player that I did this to 10
years ago, and it's clean asa whistle. The soap might
be less verdigris-inducing than the felt's own
lanolin. I have never noticed any warpage after this
syatem, but sometimes action parts were milled out of
laid-up boards, so check for bits ( usually on flanges
) that have separated from their main part.
Yes, I have used it on keys. But keys are also much
more likely to warp, and the buttons will come  loose,
so tack the buttons down first with stainless steel
brads ( don't stain wood ) before proceeding. Try not
to get the keys too wet, kiss the keytops goodbye and
be prepared fora  lot of straighteing, when dry.
    Still, if it's a matter of getting the stink out
of a set of upright keys, versus $3,000 replacements,
this may be a viable option. Then ozonate. Then paint,
as last resort. Or buy a $3,000 set of new ones.
    Also works great on action frames/rails.
     Thump