Scaling

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jun 6 14:40:00 MDT 2006

Ron
  SO all things be theoretically equal If we added approx 6 lbx per  string
times 60 to 68 unisons worth of trichord  strings would yield a  total tension
increase of only roughly 408 lbs. Not a lot but the sound of  a C-7 I once
strung change dramatically by a simple 1/2 wire size  increase.
    It was a long time ago.  I was trying to beef up  the sound.  It did, but
I didnt' like the overall tonal pallete as much.  Live & string
  Dale

>   This looks like a metric scale & if strung  with american wire will
> result in very high tension especially in the  top end...snap.

At a 53mm speaking length on C-8, the difference  between
string tensions of #14 metric and US wire gage is about 6lbs
per string, so it will make a difference in tension. The
break% won't  change, however, so there is no more danger of
string breakage with the US  gage than with the Metric for the
same speaking length and  pitch.

Ron N