Refelting antique hammers

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Jun 7 04:37:34 MDT 2006

> Farrell wrote:
>> Yes, I have done it. I do not suggest this as a quality solution to
>> addressing worn-out hammers. But if for whatever reason the old hammers
>> are going to be retained and the treble hammers are down to the wood,
>> this will solve that problem.
>
> Thanks for sending the photos. This is a real possibility. What felt did
> you use? What kind of glue did you use?

Bulk scrap hammer felt from Schaff. Hot hide.

>> As you can see in the photos below, I simply flattened the tops of the
>> target hammers, glued on an oversize strip of hammer felt, and then cut
>> the hammers apart and shaped.
>
> I see you left the hammers on the rail. Was that easier? Seems like it
> might be easier to control clamping pressure on the new felt if you had
> the moldings clamped into a group from the sides. Also, less likelihood
> of twisting a shank >snap<!

I don't really know what is the best way to clamp. If you look at the photo, you can see that all I had for clamping pressure was a couple of rubber bands - so very little pressure. I wasn't trying in any way to "tension" the felt - I was just trying to put felt between the wooden core and the string.