Scaling...comment on wrong string size

KeyKat88 at aol.com KeyKat88 at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 22:30:03 MDT 2006

Greetings,

        Yes, gage makes a difference.  At tuning school, I was playing one of
the pianos in the tuning caves. (a name we called the booths where you
practice tuning) C76 sounded awful. It was different somehow and even though it was
in tune, it didnt match in timbre of the other notes in that area.

        Here, one of the tuning students had broken the string, and replaced
it with a string about 2 sizes larger than required. This was one of those
things that I was fortuate enough as a student to see what NOT to do.

Julia
Reading, PA
of a C-7 I once strung change dramatically by a simple 1/2 wire size