More on hearing protection

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Thu Jun 8 00:59:44 MDT 2006

With the "Noise-Induced Hearing Loss, Part 2" article in the Q&A section of
The Journal, I'd like to hear from some fellow tech's who have tried the Zem
earplugs, by Sensgard. They're ugly, but the technology is such a different
approach than just a simple "plug" that perhaps they could be very useful. I
have been using 32db foam Hearos, but I find that while the foam is
comfortable I get a lot of attenuation variation from one set to the next,
and they're not that flat in response. I also have a pair of Etymotic High
Fidelity Earplugs, (identical to the Hearos High Fidelity Ear Filters),
which work great. My only complaints are that they're not that long term
comfortable and that since the frequency response is much flatter, the
attenuation, (rated at 20db), is perhaps a little too much. Zem claims 32db
reduction.

-- Geoff Sykes
-- Assoc. Los Angeles