Refelting antique hammers

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Jun 8 05:41:08 MDT 2006

You're welcome Mark. One thing about doing this is that it is
non-destructive, as long as you don't sand down the hammer core (just in
case you ever wanted to recover the original cores properly) - because we
are talking about felt that has been worn down to the core anyway. My
suspicion is that on a hundred-year-old hammer, any sound-enhancing
"tension" that was ever in the original felt isn't the same now.

I was very surprised at how well the repaired section blended with the
original section after lots of voicing (steaming and needling the original
hammers to make them softer, and juicing the repaired felt to make it
harder).

Terry Farrell