Chickering concert grand, scale 131

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Thu Jun 8 10:09:38 MDT 2006

Cy-
I'm assuming that for its first 100 years this piano did not break monochords every 3 weeks.
This leads me to think that the original design was o.k., but something has gone wrong that needs to be discovered and fixed.
Worn felt causing drag on the plate is one good possibility.
If due to pin driving or too many windings the coil is now located such that the wire is starting to bend over itself as it leaves the pin, that's another.
Or if a scaling mistake has been made so that the core wire is too close to its breaking tension when the string is at pitch, that's another.
Ed Sutton