Tenor String Replacement Size

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Fri Jun 9 10:19:02 MDT 2006

At 11:51 AM 6/9/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>I'm working on a Kimball console as I write. Doing a 75-cent pitch raise.
>Tenor string breaks right in the middle of the keyboard. I carry every
>size under the sun (or so I thought), so I cut the old one out only to
>find that I have every size other than the one I need - #18, or 0.041
>inches. Drive back to my shop because I know I have every size under the
>sun in my shop (or so I thought) - seems I have never restrung a piano
>that had plain wires larger than #17-1/2.

Distance to customer is obviously not a large factor, right?

>So, the bottom line is as I see it, I have four choices:

>1) splice the old one back in (no way - I'm not going to leave two knots
>in the speaking length);

Double knotting might improve the tone, but then you'd want to do that to
all the notes ;-}

>  2) finish tuning the piano and go back in a couple weeks when I get the
> correct size string;

Yes. With suggested follow-up tuning to stabilise pitch raise and leave
felt mute in new string.

>3) install a string one size larger; or 4) install a string one size smaller.

Smaller if absolutely necessary.

>Any opinions in the next ten minutes or so - I'm going to eat my lunch and
>then go back there and do one of these. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Terry Farrell

Happy Kimballing!

Conrad Hoffsommer

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.