Question about Setting the Pins and Unison Stability

Robert Finley rfinley at rcn.com
Fri Jun 9 12:22:07 MDT 2006

One of the problems I have been trying to solve is how to improve my unisons so that they stay in tune longer and don't go out shortly after I have tuned the piano. I apply firm test blows to equalize the tension along the string, but find that the some of the unisons in the treble still go out of tune within a few days or weeks afterwards. I think the problem is due to not setting the pin properly. The question I have is, during unison tuning, and when you are tuning each outer string to the center string, do you turn the tuning lever to raise the pitch to the high side of the center string, to the point that you hear a "tinny sound" when the two frequencies are different, and then turn the tuning lever to bring the pitch back down so that it sounds pure? I read somewhere that the amount the strings should be raised before bringing it down is to the point that you can hear a beat of a few Hz, but raising the pitch to the point where you hear a tinny sound is more than a few Hz. Thank you for your advice.

Robert Finley