More on hearing protection

John M. Formsma john at formsmapiano.com
Fri Jun 9 18:00:58 MDT 2006

OK, tune very softly - just loud enough to hear whatever you're listening
for when you tune. With the hammer shank in the same hand as your lever, set
the pin and the string with the lever where you think it won't move. Then
take the shank and slightly deflect the string. Obviously, you don't want to
be Arnold Schwarzenegger here - enough to see a bit more deflection than you
think you might get with your severest blows. Experiment - it's doubtful you
will damage anything with a hammer shank. Then check for pitch change. If
it's changed, you didn't set the string well enough or didn't deflect the
string enough. Repeat until there is no pitch change. Then, to verify this
works, get adequate ear protection and beat the stuffing out of the string.

That's about as good as I can think to describe it.

Experiment.enjoy!  ;-)

John Formsma

  _____