pedal modification for student with spina bifida

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Sat Jun 10 12:04:56 MDT 2006

Hello list,

In addition to this list, I also subscribe to an email list for church music
directors.  Through this other list, I have learned of a talented young
pianist with spina bifida (hope I spelled that right) who does not have the
leg strength to operate the pedals.  I expect it is possible to lessen the
strength of the pedals on her own piano, but I wonder if it might be
possible to buy one of those pedal-extension gadgets designed for little
kids whose legs are too short to reach the pedal, and figure out a way to
attach some weights to it, to make the pedal easier to depress.  If it
worked, she could attach it to any piano (at recitals or competitions, for
example).

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thank you,
Paul Mulik