New Bearing guges that don't lie

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Sun Jun 11 10:29:39 MDT 2006

John Hartman gave me this idea a few years ago &  I'm just getting around to
using it adn making it practical.  The more I  thought  about it the more I
realized it's  value.

 I've made some very simple wooden jigs which  act like rocker gauges.Just
some straight maple.  The front foot , a  couple inches long & 12mm wide  sits
on a unison.  There is  a slot cut out over the bridge to clear the pins when
it rocks back so  rear foot touches the rear rest.  The bottom of the gauge
simply  simulates the straight string line. The bottom edge of the front  foot &
rear foot is on the same string line. Is this clear?  See  pictures,  it's
sooo simple.

     The beauty of it is that it rocks  right at the front bridge pin fulcrum
where the front &rear sine  angle  intersects & the rear string rest. The
only two bearing  angle reference points that matter are these 2.  The front
where the pin  & string intersect & is bedded firmly to the bridge & the other
side of the bridge where the string touches down at it's final resting  place.
Forget bridge slope & cant, iI don't think it  matters.

  The rear foot rocks down till it hits the  aliquot. It clearly & definitely
gives you a visual,tactile picture  & physical distance gap at the rear
aliquot indicating positive bearing(or  not) which is absolutely the truth & can be
measured with a feeler  gauge.  I believe it's possible, since I know what my
approx new board  squash is that I can extrapolate the precise residual
bearing  angle for  each note & can graph the graduated bearing settings for the
entire  bridge. I've yet to work thru this process conlpetely but the
possibility's are  potentially very useful.
  For example.  The obvious ones just stated but also in giving  a client a
visual idea about bearing in a piano they are considering buying or
rebuilding. Warranty applications.
  How I think it works. According to Nick Gravagnes articles, if the  rear
string length,meaning the string distance from the front bridge pin to the  rear
rest is measured & multipied by.026, a distance bearing of .104 is  required
to set up your string deflection of 1 &1/2 degree of  bearing.  In the picture
below I have a 4 inch rear string length & a  residual distance bearing as
measured at the gap between the string rest &  the bottom of the rocker foot of
approx .050.  This indicates 3/4 of a  degree of  bearing. If you look closley
the gap is very
visiable.
 The three gauges below were designed to work on the  aliquot sections of
most Steiwnays.  Make your own based on the measuring  device below.
  Give me some feedback & tell me what your thoughts  are.  This is in the
experimental stage so please chime in.
  Regards
  Dale Erwin