Piano evaluation proposal

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Tue Jun 13 06:56:02 MDT 2006

Terry
  Good advice & the cases were pretty & well designed
  Dale

This sounds like a potential fabulous opportunity  for a rebuilder. The K&B
are generally well-built pianos. 1912 should have  metal action brackets - but
yes, the actions do have weird parts - the action  will be more expensive to
properly rebuild than normal - either need to use  custom parts, or convert to
more traditional action.

The owners obviously know it needs rebuilding -  they may not be aware of the
full extent needed, but they clearly appear to be  half-way there. The piano
is obviously a family heirloom - no other piano is  going to work in quite the
same way.

Such a small piano is potentially a prime  candidate for belly design
improvements (need to evaluate rim, framing, plate,  etc to determine what exactly
can be done with it). IMHO, assuming the thing  needs a new soundboard, I would
just recommend a full remanufacture with a  redesigned belly (assuming plate,
etc. allows proper redesign) and tell  'em you (or whomever) can make the
piano sound and play better than any  new small grand for $30 to $35K and see then
where the family heirloom thing  pushes them.

Hey, if you are not interested, I'd jump at an  opportunity like this!

Terry  Farrell