Piano evaluation proposal

Lhadeh at wmconnect.com Lhadeh at wmconnect.com
Tue Jun 13 16:14:48 MDT 2006

Terry,

I was one of those types 25 years ago.  I was working full time and overtime.
 Had an overwhelming checking account and no time to spend it.  Then
grandma's piano came into our family's life.  I only had time to check with a couple
of local tuners.  I wanted them to tune, assess the piano and give me an
estimate to make it like new.  I got no takers, however it must be stated that I did
not go very far with this as I didn't have the time and didn't even know how
to pursue this except to contact the few tuners in the local yellow pages.

What developed was our family jumped into the old Buick station wagon one
Sunday afternoon and hit several piano places in the Seattle-Tacoma area.  The
problem was they saw us and "qualified" us thinking we could only afford to
spend about a grand, when we were thinking perhaps an amount of ten times that and
had the cash.  We did purchase a new piano, a Baldwin R, for cash but not
from the "qualifiers" and have enjoyed it as a family for 26 years.

The moral of this is to remember that "stuffed suits" are often only that,
and the guy driving the old Buick and wearing bib overalls may have heart of
gold and a pocket book to match.  So if I were the technician involved I would
not assume anything, but would ask what their long term intentions are for the
piano.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

Loren Hedahl