"tinny" - pet peeves

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Jun 15 09:56:08 MDT 2006

At 08:36 AM 6/15/2006, Tom Cole wrote:
>David Nereson wrote:
>>I don't know why it grates on me so, but I wish people, especially
>>technicians, would not just use a term like "tinny" automatically
>>in describing, in this case, a unison that's not beatless.  To me,
>>the habit falls in the same category as calling the hammers the
>>"pads," and the plate the "harp."
>>
>Another one I find puzzling is "casters" when they mean caster cups.

What gets to me is that people call everything you do to a piano
"tuning".  The other day I was standing in Studio One at San
Francisco State with a big heavy hammer in my  hand, stringing a
Hamburg D, pounding away at it. This woman walks in and says (and I
quote) "Do you work here or are you just tuning the piano?"  I gave
her a funny look and asked her: "Do you see anything here that could
possibly be tuned? And what else could this be that I'm doing if not
working?" You sholda seen the look on her face...

Israel Stein