Stiff Action

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Sat Jun 17 03:30:32 MDT 2006

Hi:

Action touch / response / however you wish to put it is always a
combination of both action geometry, compliance, and voicing issues. In
my experience Samicks can <<feel>> stiff to a large degree because of
the latter. Iron hard hammers will always yield a sensation of fingers
hitting against concrete. Its hard to get a nice resilient response from
those hammers... but its doable.

As far as action parts being just plain tight is concerned. Myself I
experience this more in the sense of the action being sluggish, and not
so much being stiff per se. That said, proper key easing, balance pin
hole sizeing and regulation are the first things to make sure are right
along with a very good regulation in general.

If voicing and regulation issues still leave you unsatisfied, then try
changing out front punchings to something a bit more resiliant.

Do NOT use silicon lubricants.  There are several good options for
lubricants that are appropriate for piano work available from supply houses.

Finally, get in touch with your local PTG chapter and find a good RPT to
help you learn more.

Cheers
RicB

---------
I have  recently completed course work from The American School of Piano
Tuning
and  have a technical question about my own home piano, a Samick 5\'2\"
Baby
Grand.
It has always had a stiff action and over the last 12 years has  loosened
some but is still hard to play and requires a heavier touch.  Is  there
something
I can do to loosen the action a bit more including silicone  sprays or
other
adjustments to the action.
I would be happy to pay for a  techinician from the guild to come and
help me
on this  matter.
Gracias!