Downbearing / crown support question/Knabe laminated ribs

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 17 07:59:04 MDT 2006

> With respect to Ric B’s comments below, RC&S boards
> have no more mass in the
> ribs, typically, than compression boards.  The
> orientation of the ribs
> changes from shorter and wider to taller and
> narrower, but the total mass in
> not changed significantly, at least not that I have
> seen.

I just looked at my 1899 Knabe again. Short, wide,
laminated ribs. most definitely rib-crowned.

 Also, the ribs on
> a compression board do not provide support.  This
> has been stated many
> times.  If you bend the ribs by virtue of
> compression the panel, then the
> force of the ribs will be pulling downward not
> pushing up.

Sure, if they weren't secured at the ends.

 It's too early in the morning to get into a brawl
about this, ( or even consider it too deeply ) but
these statements inspired me to comment.

Thump