Gender of God, and other piano-realted stuff - ENOUGH ALREADY

Geoff Sykes thetuner at ivories52.com
Mon Jun 19 14:10:15 MDT 2006

: Prophet (American Heritage Dictionary): The chief spokesperson of a
movement or cause.

: Apostle (American Heritage Dictionary): A passionate adherent; a strong
supporter.

: Gospel (WordNet, Princeton University): The written body of teachings of a
(religious) group that are generally accepted by that group.

OK, so I got a little picky in the definitions that I chose. But that said,
and while agreeing that, (depending upon what the definition of "is" is),
"God" "is", let's see if we can make this just that much sillier! Here's the
testimony that I received:

"Christians use Hell to scare people into believing what they believe. But
to believe in something just because you're afraid of the consequences if
you don't believe in something is no reason to believe in something."
-- Homer Simpson

And then ---
Asked by Bart what his religious beliefs are, Homer answers, "You know, the
one with all the well-meaning rules that don't work in real life. Uh,
Christianity."

No one would mistake Homer Simpson and his family for saints. In many ways,
in fact, they are quintessentially weak, good-hearted sinners who rely on
their faith -- but only when absolutely necessary.
-- Michael Medved

"(The Simpsons) have captured a very common understanding of who God is,"
said Glodo, of Reformed Theological Seminary. "It's a very functional view
of religion."

And with that, I'm running for cover.