Gender of God, and other piano-realted stuff.....

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Mon Jun 19 17:13:42 MDT 2006

Hi David.

About God, I don't know.  But about soundboards, we should distinguish between superstition and intuition.  Then, of course, there is science, with repeatable controlable and analysable respectable predictable experiments (on modelised reality), with the unavoidable pride that goes with it.  Yet, even science history shows that it is intuition that makes science go further, not other way round.
Intuition, being a female attribute, is not bound to the male obligation of being immediately efficient with authority.  Therefor, it can be open to a much larger amount of informations, ones maybe in contradiction with the others, which much better reflects the unmodeled reality (yet very reality), was it of God or of soundboards.
While I agree totally with you about the vanity of armchair considerations, getting up of your armchair and doing by authority some scientifically controled real life experiments makes of you immediately a self sustaining device tending to prove that it's action was right (which could be, of course).  And this is good, no doubt.  What is less good is that after that, anything other than what sustains you in your quest will be treated by you as inimical to you.  This is faulty.  Criticism is sane.  At least, as long as it is taken for what it is : giving a divergent opinion and see what positive science can be raised by the confrontation of both opinions.
Anyway, I really long to have the opportunity to hear what you do on pianos and their soundboards.  And you know what ? My intuition tells me that it must be really great.  See : intuition CAN be efficient.

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.