Kimball cord repair

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Tue Jun 20 00:41:11 MDT 2006

Avery,

This is not difficult if you have a couple of simple tools.

With a wippen in your hand, drill out the old cord and plug big enough
to accommodate the new cord plus a round toothpick (snug fit). I use a
needle threader (loop of fine wire) to get the cord through the cleaned
out hole. For example, insert the threader into the hole from the loop
side of the jack. Take a length of new cord (silk, Dacron, whatever),
fold it in half and put the folded end through the threader about an
inch and pull it through.

Next, you'll need a jig (a dowel or a flat piece of wood) sized to just
fit into a factory made loop. Put this through the new loop and pull out
the slack. Dip a toothpick into some white or yellow glue and poke it
into the hole from the other side. Cut with flush cutters. You're done.

The above works well in the shop. If you are just doing one or two in
the field, you could probably skip the dowel and eyeball the loop size.

Tom Cole