Piano moved in another room - bushings tight!

John Dorr a440 at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 20 16:35:03 MDT 2006

Hello List,

A customer just called and since she lived nearby, I went to see the piano
right away.  She complained of certain keys so tight that her daughter, the
player, couldn't push them down.  I inspected and verified the symptom.  The
problem seems to be that some, 6 total, of the keys' bushings are now
extraordinarily tight.  So I'm in the process of rebushing them right now.

What I want to know is why?  What you might need to know is that about a week
or so ago they borrowed my 4-wheel dolly to move the piano to another room
while carpet was being replaced in its home room.  This problem exhibited
itself when the piano was moved back.  It was working fine before they moved
it.

What happened?  Why just "select" keys?  And should I recommend then that I
re-bush the entire set?

Kinda makes me go, "hmmm."

Thanks in advance