Cord loop repair jig.

gordon stelter lclgcnp at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 21 10:12:18 MDT 2006

That's nice, but it might be hard to keep all the
cords a uniform length like this, as the toothpick
tends to disturb the cord. I made a  jig for all the
loops on the jacks of the Browne action I just did, by
filing a  notch in a 1x1 pice of square aluminum tube.
The jack sits in the notch, with the face of the jack
that is to get the loop against the back "wall".  I
then drilled a hole in the wall, at the right height
for the end of the loop to reach whjen pulled down
over the back wall from the jack. A piece of wood (
clothespin ) with a little peg
( made from a  toothpick ) protruding from it is then
held against the outside of this wall, with the cord
looped over the tiny post, and through the jack.
Squeezing this together with one hand, while holding
the waste ends of the cord taut, I could insert the
glue-ey toothpick without disturbing anything. A
simple visual check of the cord looped around the
post, and feeling for some tension on the waste ends,
made sure. Very accurate.
     For pushing the old plugs out, I filed a #10x32
thread ( I think ) machine screw down to make a
stouter "punch" for the end of my center pin punch.
Wetting the old plug and letting it sit a bit loosened
the glue, and this then pushed the old cord and plug
out neatly, without drilling.
     Thump