twisting front rail key pins

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 22 09:30:47 MDT 2006

List

I've always been told, "Don't twist the front key pins to eliminate side motion on keys that have the key bushings worn out."  And I've always accepted that.

  Last week I was at a composer/friend's house.  He has a 1930s Kimball grand, really worn out.  I did a full regulation on the piano, and he didn't want to pay for new key bushings, so I twisted them, and the difference is wonderful.  No side play on the keys, feels like a million bucks.

  Now I understand it would be unethical to do that to a piano and then sell it, hiding a problem, but what's wrong with improving the play of a piano by doing the same?  Sure, it may accelerate wear on the bushings, but the bushings are worn out now!  They need replacing already.  All this does is extend the deadline and make the piano play much better until D Day comes.

  Am I missing something?  What's the down side to this?

Tom Sivak
  Chicago