Hammer choices for 1906 Steinway K

Peter Simcich smndustbin at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jun 22 12:01:02 MDT 2006

Hi, all

I have a Steinway model K whose hammers I need to replace. I'm unsure as to what hammers to purchase, Abel, Rosen or Imadegawa. I assume Abel or Rosen are superior (though I read a post on this list which said that the Imadegawa's were the best, I suspect that may not be a majority view). As my experience is limited, I am intrigued by (but skeptical of) the Pianotek statement concerning the Abel hammers that "most technicians report little or no work after finishing". Anything contributing to ease of installation is helpful (i.e. I will buy pre-bored hammers)

Thanks for any help- I am definitely in over my head - however, I've already restored 3 oldsters and don't want to "waste" any more time on worn out, giveaway pianos. Bought this piano for $500 - ribbon mahogany case painted a nice deep green - restored the case nicely (not exactly perfect, though). I know that's a backwards approach, but....hard to live with that green!

Thanks,

Peter S.