Rochester: first thoughts

Clark Sprague CSPRAGUE4 at woh.rr.com
Thu Jun 29 20:37:54 MDT 2006

I was so inspired by the Rebuilders at Rochester, that I took the old
Hardman grand, 5' something, painted white, that I had on its side in my
shop for over 2 years, and tore it all apart.  The soundboard came out, with
a little persuasion and white vinegar, essentially intact.
    I took the measurements of all the ribs, and the thickness of the
soundboard.  Do the measurements need to be in MM's to do the deflection
calculations on Ron's handout? (I loaned it to someone, it's not right in
front of me).
    Interesting, that the thickness is much thinner at the bass end than at
the treble (at the edges, anyway).  Like .235 at the bass end, to .335 at
the treble.  13 ribs, most essentially square, with a little difference
around ribs 3-8, all a little taller than wide.
Ribs looked to be flat, so it's a compression crowned board, right?
    Clark A. Sprague