1918 NY SS-M question

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Fri Jun 30 11:26:45 MDT 2006

Hello list,
Visited this piano for the first time last week. I was impressed and a bit confused with its appearance - a beautiful burl veneer on the inner rim matching on the fallboard and music desk. The finish was polyester however - have not seen this on an SS to date. Very nicely done.
The client said it was 1950's vintage that was restored in Germany. The Atlas SN# match says it is 1918. My guess is it was restored in Poland. It has all new parts - key sticks, covers and pins, action frame, hammers, shanks, whips. Also the board and bridge looks new, with new strings and tuning pins.The plate was nicely finished and clear-coated.
The clients complaint was dampers. I had to ease the guide bushings and a bit aggressively as they were bushed with action cloth.
Anyone have experience with this sort of rebuild?
I had to point out to the client that the back action was original and it has some problems. (Odd that this had not been replaced)
First the original damper wires are not bent properly with about a 2 to 3 degree bend where they enter the lift lever and many other bad bends - much plating gone too. Someone had taken some time to get the dampers to seat ok but the wire bends are FUBAR.
Some of the lift levers will pivot from left to right suggesting that the flanges have broken glue joints (loose screws if screwed but I could not see back there)
I have replaced one SS back action with Renner Kit on an 1887 SS-B so I assume the back actions are similar. I recall that there was a very small dowel about the size of a large tooth pick in the flange. (Was this used for flange or spring retention?) My assumption is that if the flange glue joint is broken the dowel will retain it and allow it to pivot as I have observed.
Is it possible to repair these flanges? Is it possible to drill through the flange into the rail and screw them into place? Is there a method to do this to flanges that have glue joints that have not broken without breaking them?
Regards,
Gene Nelson