1918 NY SS-M question

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Fri Jun 30 12:48:00 MDT 2006

Gene  writes:

<< I have replaced one SS back action with Renner Kit on an 1887 SS-B so I
assume the back actions are similar. I recall that there was a very small dowel
about the size of a large tooth pick in the flange. (Was this used for flange
or spring retention?) My assumption is that if the flange glue joint is broken
the dowel will retain it and allow it to pivot as I have observed.

Is it possible to repair these flanges? Is it possible to drill through the
flange into the rail and screw them into place? Is there a method to do this to
flanges that have glue joints that have not broken without breaking them?

Regards, >>

If the flanges have no verdegris,  why not simply reglue them with Tite-bond?
 questionable flanges are easily popped loose with a sharp rap from a hammer
against a wooden drift.  I would suggest that you pull the tray and reglue
every other flange, then when dry, crack the others and reglue them.  They tend
to have some glued on fibers left on each part and index exactly back to where
they were originally.
Good luck,

Ed Foote RPT