1918 NY SS-M question (Gene Nelson)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 30 13:11:21 MDT 2006

On Fri Jun 30 11:01:38 2006  Gene Nelson wrote:

>Some of the lift levers will pivot from left to right suggesting that the flanges have
> broken glue joints (loose screws if screwed but I could not see back there)

In 1918 Steinway underlever flanges were glued - not screwed. So yes, you most likely have broken glue joints there. Back in Boston that was a chronic condition with Steinway grands of a certain age...

>Is it possible to repair these flanges? Is it possible to drill through the flange into
> the rail and screw them into place? Is there a method to do this to flanges that
> have glue joints that have not broken without breaking them?

Yes, Gene, back in Boston that was standard procedure whenever a Steinway with glued underlever flanges was restrung - whether loose or not (they were going to get loose sooner or later - you can count on it in that climate). The cost was built into any stringing job...

Pull the back action, move the underlever springs out of the way. Use 4 x 3/4 flathead screws. Drill a large/small screwhole (large enough through the flange so the screw moves freely through it, small into the rail) and countersink. Screw down every one of those flanges - whether the glue joint broke or not. Put the springs back in place.

Israel Stein