Puzzeler from Seattle

Alan Barnard tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:05:38 -0600

Hmmm...

Baldwin's have that notched block (dag) in the back for the action to snug under. Is the back of this action sitting on top of that block, canted up at the back?

Alan Barnard
Salem, Missouri

----- Original Message -----
From: Joseph Alkana
To: Pianotech
Sent: 02/28/2006 7:48:01 PM
Subject: Puzzeler from Seattle

For the newbies, and seasoned vets to chuckle over:

OK, here's a little  mystery question for you regarding the weird feeling action of a Small Baldwin grand piano.

I arrived today for a regulation job at customer's house. Took a quick tour of the action with my fingers, and proclaimed the action a mess. Let off  appeared to be about a half an inch from the strings, Drop was really low and keys were pretty much evenly low from factory spec, but just slightly, dip was a very fat 3/8". But here's the weird thing that caught me off guard for a few mystifying moments: The hammers were already adjusted to be a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" and were pretty much in a good straight line.

Yikes! I thought. Where am I going to get enough whippen lift from??? OK, that was the quickie analysis. What was wrong with the action set up as it was? Original hammers, and not too worn, by the way.

Joseph Alkana RPT