Puzzeler from Seattle

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 1 04:17:55 MST 2006

Did someone say the rest rail had been raised up, thus the hammer line =
was nice and even...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: "Joseph Alkana"
To: Pianotech
Subject: Puzzeler from Seattle

For the newbies, and seasoned vets to chuckle over:

OK, here's a little  mystery question for you regarding the weird feeli=
ng action of a Small Baldwin grand piano.

I arrived today for a regulation job at customer's house. Took a quick =
tour of the action with my fingers, and proclaimed the action a mess. L=
et off  appeared to be about a half an inch from the strings, Drop was =
really low and keys were pretty much evenly low from factory spec, but =
just slightly, dip was a very fat 3/8". But here's the weird thing that=
 caught me off guard for a few mystifying moments: The hammers were alr=
eady adjusted to be a 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" and were pretty much in a good s=
traight line.

Yikes! I thought. Where am I going to get enough whippen lift from??? O=
K, that was the quickie analysis. What was wrong with the action set up=
 as it was? Original hammers, and not too worn, by the way.

Joseph Alkana RPT