v-bar/capo repair

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed Mar 1 05:38:51 MST 2006

>> Did the hardness change after a while (twice)?
>

> My thought was it started out fine (freshly filed) and then wore fast.
>
> Barbara

That still doesn't tell you what the critical component is to
keep it quiet. Is it hardness, shape, length, or angle? Del
came as close as anyone, nearly as I can tell, to defining a
relationship between length, angle, and propensity for noise,
by empirical testing, Hardness and shaping seems to make some
difference, but continuing reports don't seem to indicate
dependable permanence of the fix by these approaches while
deflection angle and duplex length is left as is. Conversely,
my own experience with shortening duplex lengths or increasing
bearing angles correspond convincingly with Del's reports, and
so far, haven't suddenly started making noise arbitrarily.
Faced with a "this sometimes works - temporarily" approach, or
a "this has yet to fail" approach, my money's on the short
odds bet. Call me conservative, if you can, but that's my call.

Ron N