v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Thu Mar 2 20:55:10 MST 2006

Hi Barbara,

I agree with David and Ron N, I think the front duplex length is one
of the main issues. There is also a degree of capo bar deformation
which won't be helping matters either.

Hardening the bar along with reducing the duplex length would most
likely help. However, the string approach angle is getting up there
to be running against hard bars and the last note before the bar has
quite an offset angle over the bar. So if this bar is hardened you
will have difficulty avoiding the tendency for the fist capo-note
strings to skid across towards the adjacent treble strings (this is
not uncommon when the bars are hardened). This tells you something
about soft capo bars, they are grooving, and the grooves are holding
the strings in the position they were aligned to. It stands to reason
that the piano wire will be rattling on the deformed groove as it
vibrates. Hard hammers will bring out the worst that is there to be
had.

You could experiment with front duplex length reduction by selecting
the note with the most offensive string noise, placing a small bar
under the string as close as possible to the capo. The transformation
will very likely astound you. Its unfortunate that S&S persist in
using 40 mm as a front duplex standard for the first capo notes. By
default a great majority of the rest follow suit. When copying some
one else's specification, it helps to understand what it is we are
copying.

Surely we can learn something by observing the fact that string noise
in upright pianos is just about non existent. I believe it is no
coincidence that upright pianos don't have 40 mm between the V bar
and pressure bar. If they did they'd be noisy also.

Just as an aside, that plate is conveniently shaped for retrofitting
a strut between the plate and the belly rail. Often the lower corner,
where the plate strut meets the agraffe mounting plate, is radiused
making it hard to centre-drill the plate for seating the strut.

For those of you who haven't seen the struts that we fit between the
plate and the belly rail I've posted an image to my personal web
space. Its a bit big to post to the list.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/hardened_KG6_capo.jpg

This plate has the characteristic inconvenient radius right where we
would prefer to locate the strut.

Best,
Ron O.
--