Upright Action mounting pins

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri Mar 3 02:58:09 MST 2006

At 20:36 3/2/2006, you wrote:
>Mark wrote: But note that if you move the bass end up or down, the seating
>of the dampers will be affected, due to the angle of the strings away from
>vertical.
>
>Could this be why on some old pianos the hammers in the bass section are
>grossly out of line? You occasionally run across old pianos with bass
>hammers consistently missing one of the bicords and hitting the neighbor
>string. It has to be something in the case/keybed shifting or settling, but
>what? The action posts settling makes sense. I'll have to check that out on
>the next one I run across.
>
>Dean

In some cases, action sideways shift may have occurred.   What I find
in most cases, however, is that the hammers are truncated from wear
and either have three (or four) string grooves and/or are overcentering.

YMMV

Conrad Hoffsommer

Early to rise: early to bed;
Makes a man healthy, and socially dead.