near impossible tuning

John Formsma john@formsmapiano.com
Fri Mar 3 03:00:10 MST 2006

Ed,

There is an older Young Chang G-185 I tune that does what I think you're
describing. Is there a lot of flagpoling and the pitch goes wayyyyy up or
down depending on the pin movement? This is the one piano that I just put
earplugs in and hit it hard. But, what works in that piano is "memorizing"
the feel of how the string moves and where it falls into place the best.
Since the smallest actual movement of the pin in the block results in 20+
cents pitch change, I just discount 18 of those cents and work with it until
it falls into proper place.

Also, I ain't so picky with this one either. ;-)

John Formsma

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of A440A@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:47 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: near impossible tuning

Greetings,
   While I am wrestling with a bear, it occurs to me to ask if any others
have also,and what perhaps helped.
I am dealing with a 4 year old Kawai RX-6 that is giving me more stability
problems than any piano I have dealt with in 30 years. It is in a large
church,
full amplification, monitors and everything, however, it is not being played

excessively hard.  The humidity is far more consistant than many other
venues I
work around, and it has a complete humidity control system.  The pins are
plenty tight,etc.   The problem is rendering!
      It occurs in the capo sections.  It is one of those pianos that feels
like there is no friction on the capo bars or string rests.  I have had
unisons
with 5 cents in them appear before I finish the tuning, and while I can
usually finagle the obvious wild unisons back into place, by the next day,
there is
always a few with a cent or two showing up.
      Anybody else run into this and find a magic, silver bullet?
Thanks,

Ed Foote RPT