beginner seeking advice re:VTDs (vacuum tuning devices)

Jason Kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 2 Mar 2006 19:30:58 -0800

Philippe, I fear that you are serious about this. The idea of using a vacuum
cleaner as a pitch source is nonsense; forget it. Buy a tuning fork
immediately.

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Conrad Hoffsommer
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:52 PM
To: Pianotech List
Subject: Re: beginner seeking advice re:VTDs (vacuum tuning devices)

Philippe,

At 19:07 3/2/2006, you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm new to tuning too and I don't have a tuning fork yet, I'd like to
>try the vacuum cleaner tuning first.
>a few questions :

a few answers interspersed:

>1/ I suppose all vacuum cleaners are not tuned on the same pitch.

No more than pianos are at the same pitch leaving the factory and arriving
at the showroom.

>  Is there a Vacuum Cleaner tone Reference List (VCTRL) available
> somewhere on the net ?

Sounds like doctoral thesis material...

>  Does this also word with kitchen vacuum ?

I only have one for the entire house, so I wouldn't know about a
dedicated kitchen unit.

>2/ I suppose the pitch depends on the temperature...

Of course, and since different models have different length and
diameters of hoses, wands and heads/nozzles, there would have to be a
certain amount of stretch to consider to determine the resonant
frequency/pitch.

>Should I wait for my Vacuum cleaner to stabilise ?

Of course!! Proper feng shui will help.

>How long ?

Somewhere between a fortnight and quinze jours.

>3/ I'm in europe and we are supplied in 220V 50Hz. Do you think this
>can make a difference in pitch for the same model of vacuum cleaner
>between Europe and US ?

If they were synchronous, that would make a big difference, but since
most have induction motors it depends...  why is there air?

>4/ If for any reason I had to use a supplemental power supply
>cable... Is there a risk that it infuences my reference pitch ?

It all depends what you're referring to. Is that a pitch, as in cricket?

>Should I pay attention to this ?

No more than most people do to me.

>5/ May I use the same vacuum cleaner for the tone reference and to
>clean the piano ?

That would depend on how many parts you suspect will get sucked up.
Damper felt will clog the bag very quickly and change the pitch.
Your call...

>Thank you for you answers,
>Philippe

Thank you for providing the questions.

Conrad Hoffsommer
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be
misquoted, then used against you.