near impossible tuning

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Fri Mar 3 04:24:30 MST 2006

Roger Jolly wrote:
> Hi Ed,
>              Here's a suggestion that has worked for me.   Aggressively
> lift the strings.  I think you know what I am getting at.  The sustain
> will also increase, and give an overall tone improvement.

Seems to me that wholesale aggressive lifting of the strings is certain
to unlevel everything, causing plenty of voicing issues. It seems to me
that strings respond variously and unpredictably to indiscriminate
yanking.  Is there some way of doing this that results in level strings?
Or are you assuming that the strings have never been lifted, and
therefore need to have their bends sharpened, and they'll come out level
because they all pass under the same capo, or something like that? Thanks.

-Mark