near impossible tuning

Mark Schecter schecter@pacbell.net
Fri Mar 3 04:25:50 MST 2006

Ed,

If there is really no friction, then wouldn't the strings render
effortlessly, leaving only flagpoling as a variable, which you can relax
by nudging? If notes are changing, some time after surviving two or
three test blows without moving, then it seems like either 1) there is
some unresolved twist or flex in the pin, which moves the string easily
against _no_ friction when it relaxes, or 2) there really _is_ friction
at some bearing point, which releases sneakily behind your back, the
scum. Because of the 5 cents change you mention, I vote for the latter,
and I would think that it would be at the bridge end of things. Have you
gently seated the strings on the bridge? If you hear a lot of little
ticks when you do this, I think you might find things improved. I guess
doing this is controversial, but it works for me, and if you use your
palm to impel the (soft) tool, avoidance of pain and a little common
sense will prevent damage to the bridge cap.

BTW, I tune a Kawai GS-70 which has some of the tightest pins since
Baldwin. I have trouble tuning it because it's so difficult to make a
tiny movement of the pin against such resistance. When the pin finally
turns, it jumps, and the whole string goes to the wrong tension,
requiring plenty of wrestling, whacking, rendering, questionable
language, and reprehensible attitude. So while it may be a different
cause, the upshot is similar. I wonder if there's some kind of lube ...

BTW2, have you verified that things are plugged in to the correct plugs
in the humidistat? If the general environment is pretty stable, it might
not run very much, but if it's backwards, when it does run it could be
putting a dose of humidity into the piano, which could be causing
premature rusting.

I hope this helps, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't, sorry!

-Mark