keytops

pianolady50 at peoplepc.com pianolady50@peoplepc.com
Fri Mar 3 13:00:45 MST 2006

HTML MessageDavid,

I would find breaking apart the groupings of keytops a real pain.  I =
even hate having to lay out in order A-G of the Schaff sets and they're =
usually packaged rather neatly.  Are you just experimenting with using =
the Kluge?  I haven't encountered the "top lift" problem at all with the =
Schaff keytops.  Been using them for 10 years, no clamping.

Debbie L.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Ilvedson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 1:18 AM
  Subject: keytops

  List,

  I tried a new set of keytops, for me, today...Kluge.  I usually use =
Schaff's keytops...the Kluge were in connected sets of 7...C through B.  =
 Right off the bat I had to break the sets apart, which was a pain...in =
fact until I figured out the secret (carefully break from the tail until =
down to the front, then bend/break in that plane), I broke one front and =
had to carefully fit that together when gluing...after that I found =
(opposite of the Schaff keytops) that the keytop front didnt' want to =
adhere to the front of the key...in other words it didn't have any =
inherent pressure towards the key's front surface.   With the Schaff, =
the angle of the keytop front made the adhesion good but tended to push =
the keytop up at the top front area and I'd get separation unless I =
clamped.   The Kluge keytop fronts are apparently at 90 degrees to the =
top.  I ended up using blue painters tape to come from the key button =
stretched across the keytop and over the front and underneath the key to =
apply pressure and keep the front against the keys front surface...I =
hope this is clear?   At first I didnt' like the difference but in =
retrospect I didn't have to clamp the keys, the blue tape did the =
trick...

  Anyone else have any comments about Kluge...whatever...

  David Ilvedson, RPT
  Pacifica, California