tools

Andrew and Rebeca Anderson anrebe@sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 3 20:20:10 MST 2006

Charles,
After completing my correspondence course and discovering I was half
a day over icy mountain roads away from the nears technicians and
active chapter of the guild I got a Peterson 490ST on the
recommendations of the course faculty.  At least I could check out my
progress.  That said, it is actively for-sale.  I'll sell it in new
condition with pedal and softcase for $200 less than you can buy it new.

Do I recommend it?  Only for a rebuilding shop where you want to chip
a bunch of pianos up fast.  It is fast to respond.  Why?  Very few
ETDs actually listen to the piano you are tuning and adjust stretch
accordingly.  Peterson doesn't and anything in that price range
won't.  I found myself testing intervals and adjusting on the fly
which would be ok if it was a knob but it has a touch pad.  Way too
slow.  It is a big heavy beast that is tethered to an electrical wall
socket.  I upgraded to a Veritune VT100.  So far, it is the only one
that listens to each note you are tuning and adjusts on the fly.  It
also has neat PTG testing functions that make practice a cinch.

Sincerely,
Andrew Anderson