v-bar/capo repair: Seiler pictures 2

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri Mar 3 22:33:25 MST 2006

Ron, Barbara
  Although I'm not a compression crowned  soundboard builder I have built
many boards with many kinds of spruce &  grain oreintations. Even pressing ribs
on at 5.5 to 6.% compression still exsist  in the panel. If I'm sending a board
to the desert it gets dried a bit  more.  If the Bay area less is fine.
    My preference for tight grain Sitka has  come after hearing many of my
own boards. Tighter grains are of course mean  harder & denser thus heavier
wood. No surprise there.
    Exactly how that impacts the clarity of the  sound is no doubt impedance
related but beyond that it comes down to I like what  I hear from this kind of
tight grain, in the type of boards I build here.  A Powerful clear dark sound
with good balance.  NO, it is not magic  wood but it does have a bearing IMO.
...along with so many  things.  With this much soft spring wood in the Seiler
board I suspect  it will lend itself to more reactive movements with humidity
swings especially  or more so if the Seiler board is compression crowned &
that can mean  more tuning in-stability & the possibility for pre- mature or
moisture  induced cellular crushing.
  Just my 2 cents
  Dale

WOW on a  different subject. Is the entire soundboard panel constructed
> with  spruce that is about 8 grains an inch? What's up with  that?
>   If so Holy Cats!!
>    Dale

And just why would that be a problem?
Ron  N