keytops

Lhadeh at wmconnect.com Lhadeh at wmconnect.com
Sat Mar 4 09:55:29 MST 2006

You could either order the keytops and fronts separately, or if you wanted to
be sure the fronts were of the same material as the tops, you could cut them
free with a band saw with a fine blade.  The trick is to make a jig that
causes the keytop to enter the blade at a angle, perhaps about 30 degrees, so the
blade doesn't have to cut across the whole width of the front at once.

I glue on the fronts first with PVC-E, with the top of the front wafer flush
with the top of the wood surface.  The glue is usually set up enough by the
time I finish the fronts (including a coffee break) and I can start on the tops,
going through the keys in the same order as I did the fronts.