Kawai vs. Yamaha. was: near impossible tuning

Avery avery1 at houston.rr.com
Sun Mar 5 14:14:30 MST 2006

Michael,

At 12:16 PM 3/5/2006, you wrote:

> > Dale wrote:   I really like the Kawai grands in general. The tone is far
> > more interesting than it other Japanese competitor & I can do wonderful
> > things with the voicing .
>
>For me, (and i'm sure many others will agree) Kawai's are not very
>consistent in tone. Some are really nice, many are not. Yamaha's arent
>that consistent either, but at least the sound doesnt "distort" when
>played louder. As Dale just said, with most Kawais all you get is NOISE
>after a second of sustain. Even though many kawais seem like they have a
>very nice tone when you first play one, it doesnt last!
>
> > These are pianos with original hammers that have probably never had a
> > needle stuck in them. Is this a hammer/voicing problem?
>
>hmm... most yamahas ive seen havent either been neddled and they dont have
>that problem

Any piano 15 yrs. old, whatever the brand, would
have that problem. They need to
be voiced. Among other things before you do that!!!!!! Plus, Kawais, as have
Yamahas, have improved dramatically in the last 10 yrs.

>We import many used Yamahas and Kawais,

 From where? Japan? If so, that might be one of your problems.

>and the difference in quality is
>clear, the materials and the way yamahas are made are much better by FAR.
>Starting out with the casework for instance, while kawai lyres just fall
>to bits even if only a few months old, i have never seen or heard of a
>yamaha lyre loosen.

I've  been servicing Kawai's for years and have NEVER seen that problem!!
And we have several that are subjected to extremely heavy use. I have yet to
have to repair a pedal lyre!

>The castors, the bolts and screws, etc, kawai ones
>just scream the words "cheap n nasty",

Not even!

>no matter how many times you do and
>undo yamaha bolts/screws, they'll still keep the thread and the heads wont
>become useless.

Neither do Kawai's!

>On older uprights is not uncommon to see rusty colums
>(legs) as they where made of metal. And on newer ones made of plastic,
>they kind of bend!

Legs made of plastic? Not that I've ever seen.

>We have now stopped using kawais for concert hire
>because of these things and of course tuning stability is far superior on
>yamahas.

That's not true, either! Assuming you have a good technician!

>Action-wise (kawai).... what's all that plastic doing there???

It's "called" plastic, but it's not the old plastic (as in plastic elbows). I
really like it. It's much more stable.

>might be ok
>when new, but when you need to replace stuff... pedal mechanisms often
>make all sorts of noises... etc etc.

What kind of noises? From where? So do Yamaha's. So do Steinway's, etc., etc.

>The only thing i can think of right
>now that i really like on kawai grands is the screw adjustment for the
>springs on whippens, quick and delightful to regulate with those! BTW the
>new black ABS plastic whippens are just weird!!

Why do you say that? Other than the color? At least Kawai is trying to do some
R & D to improve their instruments!

>Havent seen the Shigeru models yet, are they any better? Don't think they
>can beat the Yamaha S series, can they?

I'm not sure what the S series is, but it would be very hard to beat the
Shigeru. No matter what the brand! JMO, after years of working on them.
Well prepped, it would probably beat the 'B'. We have one 7'+ (I can't remember
the exact size), but everyone who plays on it, loves it!

Earl Wild recently made a recording on a Shigeru EX celebrating his 90th year
(I believe) and it's fantastic! If you want to
hear some great voicing, buy it.
It's called "Living History" and is available at: http://www.ivoryclassics.com

Avery