Kawai vs. Yamaha

PIANISSIMO PIANOFORTE S.L. patrick at pianospianissimo.com
Sun Mar 5 16:03:06 MST 2006

Avery,

i'll answer some of questions/opinions in order to explain mine

>  From where? Japan? If so, that might be one of your problems

Yes Japan of course. Problems? i found problems mostly with kawais not
yamahas (desintegrating loop cords on ups. are about the only problem
found on older yamahas)

> I've  been servicing Kawai's for years and have NEVER seen that problem!!
> And we have several that are subjected to extremely heavy use. I have yet
> have to repair a pedal lyre!

Well, i have had A FEW kawai lyres in the workshop that i collected from
customers houses in order to glue and clamp together, and those are new
kawai grands i'm talking about.

i said: >>The castors, the bolts and screws, etc, kawai ones
>>just scream the words "cheap n nasty",

> Not even!
Believe me, one could almost cut their fingers on the corners of those
bolts for legs/lyres on many kawai grands. Also, try actually pushing an
older kawai about n u'll notice the castors arent efficient at all.

i said: >>no matter how many times you do and
>>undo yamaha bolts/screws, they'll still keep the thread and the heads
>> wont
>>become useless.

> Neither do Kawai's!
The truth is, ive had this happen on kawais and not on yamahas.

> Legs made of plastic? Not that I've ever seen
well, next time you come accros a kawai cx-5h upright (that was one of the
models i've seen them on), you take a good look. You see, when moving
pianos regularly, one gets to notice many many details than when just
tuning/servicing.

i said:>>We have now stopped using kawais for concert hire
>>because of these things and of course tuning stability is far superior on
>>yamahas.

> That's not true, either! Assuming you have a good technician!
The huge climate changes troughout the different seasons, night/day, from
one city to another (even in very close proximity), constant moving of the
pianos, show me really damm well what pianos are stable and which arent!

> Assuming you have a good technician!
Well, it certainly put a BIG smile on my face reading this comment in
particular. Here is why:
- The other two technicians i work with are true experts with well over 20
n 35 years experience each. Experience gained: one of them as head
tuner/technician at a very reputable Steinway dealer abroad (taking care
of their Concert and Artist department) aswell as many years tuning "on
the road" aswell as rebuilding work, etc etc. The other one, as head tuner
at a well known European factory, aswell as doing loads of concert work at
the BBC. So needless to say they are the best tuners around in Spain, and
certainly some of the best in Europe.

Anyway, thats one reason, the other is: when i (or any of them) can get a
"rock solid" tuning, why does it nearly always last far longer on a yamaha
than on a kawai???

Just making sure you understand in this case tuning stability has nothing
to do with "assuming you have a good technician". Yamahas are a much more
resistent piano, that is a fact that gets confirmed over and over.

> It's "called" plastic, but it's not the old plastic (as in plastic
> elbows). I
> really like it. It's much more stable.
It certainly is old plastic in the older uprights i've seen.

> What kind of noises? From where? So do Yamaha's. So do Steinway's, etc.,
> etc.
So you do know what kind of noises then! yes, all pianos do, but in my
experience they are found more often in kawais than yamahas.

> Why do you say that? Other than the color?
yes, thats right.

>At least Kawai is trying to do
> some
> R & D to improve their instruments!
I am glad to hear so, honestly. They very much need the changes! they
obviously dont have the experience yamaha have, just take a look at the
quantities of yamahas vs kawais mr.Pierce's book will tell you the exact
numbers. Yamaha have made several more millions of pianos that kawai or
any other manufacturer.

> I'm not sure what the S series is,
They market them as "hand made", superior pianos.
S4 (194cm) and S6 (212cm) grands, SU uprights (121,131,7). Very fine
pianos indeed.

>but it would be very hard to beat the
> Shigeru. No matter what the brand! JMO, after years of working on them.
> Well prepped, it would probably beat the 'B'. We have one 7'+ (I can't
> remember
> the exact size), but everyone who plays on it, loves it!
i absolutely take your word for it. I hope to work on enough Shigerus to
find out for myself. (havent worked on or even played one yet)

> Earl Wild recently made a recording on a Shigeru EX celebrating his 90th
> year
> (I believe) and it's fantastic! If you want to
> hear some great voicing, buy it.
> It's called "Living History" and is available at:
> http://www.ivoryclassics.com
I'm actually curious to listen to it :) Thanks for letting us know.

Regards,

Patrick