Bridge Root Building Success

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Mar 6 07:22:42 MST 2006

No concerns about sound leaking out the open end grain at the
doglegs?

In this particular case I don't know that that was a concern. But yeah, for anyone so inclined, it does solve that problem.

I suppose that means it's time to ask about the
obvious refraction differences in alternate layers of your
 laminations. 'Splain, please.

I'm not really sure exactly what you mean by refraction differences. Are you referring to bending soundwaves somehow?

The goal of the designer for the alternate layers of maple and mahogany is to have the bridge root made of two woods of different densities. Apparently, the theory is that sound will propagate at different rates along the bridge (and hence the desire for continuous laminations) in the two different density woods.

Is that what you were looking for?

Terry "I don't design 'em, I just build 'em!" Farrell