Black Market Pianos now HC's

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Mar 6 08:04:28 MST 2006

The changing of the moisture content in the wood during the
manufacturing process, for a different geographical area, may seem
silly. But in Yamahas case, it has worked, as the pianos coming to
Canada, after they made the change, hold their tune better, no more
loose tuning pins.
When I first started tuning, at a university, in the late 70's, there
was a small Yamaha grand, and the pins were looser than I thought they
should be. I wrote a letter to Yamaha. (the days before e-mail), they
replied to me, saying if they supplied oversize pins, would I repin it,
and bill them for the labour.
So they recognised the problem, and it was solved, by them changing the
moisture content of the wood during the manufacture, for pianos,
destined for the North American market.
This was before the days of Dampp-Chaser systems.
So I disagree with your comment, about it being silly, in changing the
MC of the wood.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada