v-bar/capo repair (filing compared)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 6 16:08:21 MST 2006

<<  The material of the capo bar

    should be softer then the string itself, so that the string can self

    machine a rounded channel (approximately 1/4 of the strings diameter

    deep) on the 0.5 mm wide surface of the V-bar. ">>

Um,  this indicates that a size 15 wire will create a channel that is .009"
deep??  I have seen many older Steinways with capo bars that sounded really
fine with nothing like this deep a groove in them.  I have had success with just
cleaning the bars with the lightest touch of a file to shorten the length of
whatever groove there is on the capo surface and putting the new wires back in
the same channel.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT