100+ Year-Old Laminated Rib

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Mar 6 19:17:49 MST 2006

> Anyway, very interesting rib construction. I had never seen anything
> quite like this. I have the original soundboard from an 1890s Knabe
> grand that I guess I'll just have to yank a rib off of and take a closer
> look at it. Anyone ever seen anything like this before?
>
> Terry Farrell

Yes, from an old Knabe grand, only the radii were a tad
tighter. Nearly as I could tell, only the top four ribs were
laminated. I speculated that they crowned the longer ribs by
clamping them (bowed) in a jig and running them through a saw.
Dale crowns them this way, and I used to before I started
laminating them in cauls. Shorter ribs with tighter crown
radii are hard to bend in jigs like that, so I envisioned them
ripping thinner strips, and gluing the results to a straight
backing for the short ribs. Seemed like a reasonable approach
to me.

Ron N