Square Rubber Grommet replacement

Arlie Rauch adarpub at midrivers.com
Tue Mar 7 07:42:23 MST 2006

Yesterday I went to tune an older Lowrey spinet.  In order to replace
a damper lever I had to remove the action, and that mean removing the
lifter wires from the ends of the keys.  Well, all the square rubber
grommets had become hard and brittle, and they broke as I removed
them.  Fortunately, I had a new set with me.

Installing the new ones was a terrible job.  The ends of the lifter
wires looked like they had been twisted off so that there was a piece
of metal interfering with screwing on the new grommet (it would
really have been helpful if the lifter wires had tapered at the
end).  So a little file was helpful there.  But the job took a long
time and required lots of finger work--my fingers and finger joints
really took a beating.  Of course, once the nuts were started, I
could use a tool I have to turn those square nuts to the proper
position.

Does anyone have a quick and neat way of replacing these square
rubber grommets?  They are #3785 in Schaff's catalog.

Arlie Rauch