100+ Year-Old Laminated Rib

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Tue Mar 7 11:57:43 MST 2006

I've run across these as well. The crown was cut into the rib rather than
pressed. Have you cut down the glueline to see what happens? My conclusion was
the same as Ron's -- they had a hard time bending the short ribs into a curve to
crown them so they basically cut them in half.

They certainly knew about rib-crowned soundboards.

I haven't yet seen bent laminations in older pianos. It may well have happened,
I just haven't seen it.

Del

  _____